"WE KNOW THE TRUTH, NOT ONLY BY THE REASON, BUT ALSO BY THE HEART"
Blaise Pascal
OH YEAH
click on picture & scroll down

EVERYTHING'S GOOD...OH, YEAH, OH, YEAH


Thursday, July 8, 2010

FRACKING SILLY


Yesterday I came across an article in the NY Times Energy and Environment Section and found nothing special till I read this quote from a "responsible" Pennsylvanian who is active in the movement to improve regulation of the gas industry:

"This is a billion-dollar industry going after a trillion-dollar asset. Opposing it would be silly. But people aren't aware of the risks to the environment."
For article - click here. It also mentions the new MIT study which is another very annoying and familiar story.

As one who stands unalterably in opposition to drilling - not only to fracking but also to all that comes after (more on that to come) - I object to my opposition being characterized as "silly".
I don't just object -
I strenuously object.

I have been agressively investigating every aspect of this issue, including some angles that have not yet received attention here in our state, and have concluded that the only intelligent, reasonable, sensible and "responsible" position is to demand an outright ban - and to make it loud.

Of course, odds are that the drilling will proceed and I surely do and will support all efforts to regulate the hell out of the frackers. And I admire Mr Bogle's recent letter to the president of Penn State University - see Splashdown post about this - here

Today I have resisted my usual cynical and sarcastic inclinations out of respect for Mr Bogle, to whom I say - please take a very hard look at the name of your organization and tell me what you see:

RESPONSIBLE DRILLING ALLIANCE

can you say -

 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post.

    I'm not sure what Bogle meant by that strange comment . ..."Opposing it would be silly." Perhaps he meant that swimming against a waxing tide is not humanly possible...? or, perhaps he meant that jousting at windmills only reveals a person's foolishness : but when the windmills are not benign wind machines but environmental threats.....a person would be foolish to NOT oppose.

    In fact, (in frack?),the only sane thing to do is to oppose environmental threats.
    Anything less is complicity.

    Drilling that is done safely is the core issue-------the entire process as currently practiced is rife with environmental disregard beginning firstly and foremostly with the injection of chemicals that are not environmentally safe. This is eco-craziness, irresponsibilism, at a high level.

    But even if the frack fluid was rendered non-toxic, there is still the threat of gas entering the aquifers, still the threat of VOCs becoming airborne, still the threat of toxifying our environment.

    I can understand the concept of 'responsible drilling'--------------but the planned quantity of wells and the quantity and danger of the fluids used completely undermine the term "responsible."

    I agree, Fracked.

    ReplyDelete